Skip to main content

Santa Claus and What is Really Real: A Conversation with my 10 Year Old Daughter



“Mom…I know who you are,” announced my oldest daughter Nora a couple of nights ago as I was tucking her into bed.

Caught off guard by Nora’s declaration, I froze for minute. I hadn’t realized that the words I just heard from her might have represented one of my greatest fears. My shy and slightly socially anxious adolescent self emerged from my past for a moment – “Nora knows who I am. She’s seen who I really am!” I thought, feeling for a minute like I just got caught doing something horribly wrong, but wasn’t sure what it was. I took a deep breath as my adolescent self receded, and then my present day mom self chimed in. “Who am I Nora?” I inquired.

“You’re Santa,” she said as if words could wink.

I sighed a breath of relief before a small amount of a different type of panic arose…from another part of myself. “I’ve been caught in the Santa Lie,” I thought to myself. Still…I played it cool as a cucumber.

“Nora”, I said. “What do you mean, I’m Santa? I don’t have a white beard. Or any beard for that matter. I think I’m a bit thinner. A bit shorter. A bit younger. I don’t drive a sleigh with Reindeers. I don’t say, ‘Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! Now, Prancer and Vixen! On, Comet! On Cupid! On Donner and Blitzen!’ I don’t jump down Chimneys with bags of toys for kids. My eyes don’t twinkle, and my dimples aren’t merry”.

“Mom, are you reciting ‘The Night Before Christmas?’ Nora asked.

“Nora,” I said… “My cheeks aren’t like roses, nor my nose like a cherry! I don’t have a broad face and a little round belly. And I don’t shake when I laugh like a bowl full of jelly. And…come on Nora, I said.  I don’t live in the North Pole. How could I possibly be Santa?”

“Mom”… Nora’s words were about to wink at me again. “I’m on to you”, she said. Wink. Wink.

“Tell me the truth,” Nora said. “About Santa.”

It was this moment that I remembered back to my own childhood word winking conversation with my mom, after I had discovered the boxes from the Santa presents in our garage a few days after Christmas when I was eight years old. I remembered confronting my mom about Santa. “Tell me the truth,” I said to my mom. And I remember my heart sinking, after hearing. “You’re right, Karen. He’s not real.”

“Well,” I said to my daughter with a pause, thinking of my next move.

“Well, Nora”. I said. “If Santa isn’t real, then how was your friend’s mom able to take a picture of Santa with his sleigh and his reindeer, flying away from their house?”

“Photoshop.” Nora said.

The conversation continued. “Come on mom,” Nora said. "Why does Santa use the same wrapping paper that you and dad use for us, then?” Nora responded to her own question, “Because it’s you (wink, wink)…not Santa.”

“Remember, honey,” I said. We leave our wrapping paper out for him so he doesn’t have to use his own wrapping paper. Now, get to bed Nora. I love you.”

And so that was the end of this particular night’s lighthearted conversation with Nora about the “Santa Lie.”

After I left Nora’s room and went to my own, I found myself thinking. Why is it so many parents lie to their children about Santa. What is this mass hysteria that allows half of the population in our country (the children) to believe in such a far-fetched concept? And since my own childhood, this lie has only grown bigger. And Capitalism has definitely capitalized on it. No longer are children, in order to know where Santa is Christmas Eve, required to mistake a red light from an airplane for Rudolph’s shiny nose.

“Santa is five houses down…across the creek,” I  would say to me siblings when we were kids, noticing Rudoph’s shiny nose guiding Santa’s sleigh….which also happened to be guided by a couple of unspoken and unquestioned green lights.

Now all of the young children and their lying parents can just go to www.noradsanta.org, or to santatracker.google.com, or to some other Santa tracking website, and they can find out just exactly where Santa is located around the world…even when he is flying over the countries where the majority of people don’t believe in Santa or celebrate Christmas.

And then there is “Elf on the Shelf.” No longer do desperate parents, in need of behaving children during the holiday season, need to look out the window and exclaim in excitement and surprise, “Oh my gosh, kiddos, I just saw an elf. And he saw what you are doing!”

No longer do we need to tell our kids, “The elves are watching.” Because now, for just 29.95, from Amazon, there is “Elf on the Shelf.” This delightful character comes in two genders, boy elf and girl elf. This is really wonderful, because for just another 29.95 your elf – presumably created by their marketing inventors to be heterosexual elves  – can have a boyfriend elf or a girlfriend elf. And trust me you…elves do get lonely. Elf on the Shelf also comes with a book for your kids, describing all about how the elves visit children each night from Thanksgiving until Christmas, before returning back to their home with Mr. and Mrs. Santa Clause…until next year that is.

For your lonely, cold, Elf on the Shelf who arrives wearing just an elf outfit, you can also purchase a pair of party skirts (for your girl elf), and an attractive sweater set with 5 attachable decals (for your boy elf).

Once your elf is named and fully attired, it is ready for work. The important job of an elf on the shelf is to spy on your children during the day time, then to fly back to the North Pole at night, reporting to Santa which kiddos have bee naughty and which ones have been nice. Upon returning from the North Pole to your home early in the morning, your elf is supposed to find a new hiding spot in your home so it can again resume spying on your kids.

For some reason, Nora and Hazel were two of the last children in our area to receive an Elf on the Shelf. Then about two years ago, after hearing over and over from them that “absolutely all of their friends have an elf on the shelf, and why don’t’ we? Aren’t we just as important?” John Mark and I broke down.

One day soon after our breakdown, Scarlett Elf arrived at our house - along with the nicely illustrated Elf on the Shelf children’s book that details just exactly what is supposed to happen each night with the elf after the children go to bed. And so - as if John Mark and I didn’t have enough to do this time of year - we resigned ourselves to our new, additional job of moving a toy elf to a different spot in our house each night. “OK…we can handle this”, we thought.

Nora and Hazel, ecstatic to have what every single one of their friends and classmates and children all over the world have, went to school the next day to proudly tell their friends about their new elf Scarlett. Upon coming home from school later that day, John Mark and I were informed of a few other important things about Elves on the Shelves that weren’t detailed in our instruction book.

“My friends write letters to their elves, and they get letters back from them,” Nora said.

“Elves get really lonely for other elves. One of my friends just got a friend for her elf,” Hazel said.  And then…“Can we get a friend for Scarlett?”

“My friends get early Christmas presents from their elves,” they both said.

A few other things that I have learned about Elves on the Shelves that weren’t detailed in the book: Elves get lonely – they need friends. Elves have tremendous fashion sense, and need clothes. Elves poop Hershey kisses and mini-marshmallows, and it is extremely cruel to make them wait until they get back to the North Pole each night to use the bathroom.

I suppose the phrase, “If you can’t beat them, join them, and then out do them,” comes to mind when I think of John Mark’s and my response to this whole Elf on the Shelf hysteria. The summer after Scarlett Elf arrived at our house, she snuck inside one of our suitcases, becoming a stow-away on a family trip to Iceland - where according to an episode of the podcast “Lore”, about half of the population (probably the children, I’m guessing) believes in Elves.

Upon discovering at the airport that Scarlet came with us, my daughters were ecstatic. Our very first outing in Iceland was to an elf garden, where Scarlet posed for some photos which she posted to her Facebook page.

When I am now confronted by Nora and Hazel with the activities of their friends elves, and questions such as, “Why doesn’t Scarlett Elf do that ?” or “Why doesn’t Scarlett Elf have that?” I conveniently remind them that Scarlett Elf - who still do this day doesn’t have a friend,or a significant other - went to Iceland with us. And she also has a Facebook page.


Over these years each holiday season, I have been surprised at my ability to lie, almost effortlessly, about these things. Generally speaking, I am all about being as honest as possible with my kids. For example, if my spouse and I argue and one of my daughter’s says to me “I wish you both would stop arguing,” I don’t say, we aren’t arguing honey”. Though it is rare for my children to see me upset (and more common for them to see me extremely tired), if I am upset about something and one of my daughter’s recognizes this, I will honor her observation and let her know…yes, I am upset. I won’t say, “No…everything is fine”, when it isn’t. As much as I like Hitchcock movies, I don’t want to gaslight my kids. I want them to trust their experiences.  I want their experiences and observations to be validated….not second guessed by them. This is what helps to build confidence and self-trust. This value of honesty in my parenting has held strong in most cases, with one gi-nourmous exception: the lie about Santa (and his elves).

After Nora was born and our first Christmas with her approached us, I was faced with a 1st world dilemma of what to tell her (or not) about Santa. I had seen parents I knew handle Santa in different ways…most telling the Santa story, some not, and some who combined fact with fiction…telling their children about a “pretend Santa.” My guess is that how each parent I knew then decided to handle this situation had much to do with their experiences with Santa, or not Santa, when they were children. I remembered that one of my friend’s was truly traumatized after finding out her parents had lied to her…and that someone she had loved and depended upon all of these years, Santa, wasn’t real. And so I struggled with the idea of lying to my child…of telling her stories about a big man with a white beard who will bring her toys if she’s good. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to participate in the Santa Lie. With some reflection, my resolution became this: I will lie to Nora (and later down the road, Hazel) about Santa. I will tell them the Santa story, but Santa will have unconditional positive regard for my kids… so I won’t tell them about the “good list” and the “naughty” list. I even thought to myself, “If they learn about this list from shows and movies,” I will tell them, “It’s just a movie…there isn’t really a list.”

This resolution lasted until my oldest was probably about 4 and a half, and my youngest was almost 2, when one day a few weeks before Christmas they were pushing every single button I have and out of my mouth came, “The Elves are Watching, you know.”

“WHAT,” they said. And so - though I later backtracked and said they would get toys no matter what…but elves, just like mommy’s and daddy’s work hard and appreciate it when kids behave – more lies unfolded. And I found it surprisingly easy and effortless to lie to my kids about Santa.

Not only the traditional stuff, like Santa flying to our house in his sleigh with eight reindeer that included that magical Rudolph. But also lies that helped to keep things more convenient for us. For example, I’ve told Nora and Hazel that Santa wraps their presents in the same wrapping paper that we use because we kindly leave it out for him to use. I’ve had regular conversations with Santa.

 “I talked with Santa”, I’ve said, “and he told me he needs to know your shoe size just in case he wants to get you shoes.”

Or…“Santa was wondering what your favorite colors are this year.”

Or…my latest one, “Santa told me that he isn’t going to be able to get you a Nintendo Switch this year. He already picked out your presents…some of them which cost a lot to make…before you realized a week before Christmas that you would like a Nintendo Switch.”

Though the lies that fall impromptu out of my mouth still surprise me, the question Nora hasn’t asked me yet is the one for which I have had a planned response. That is the “WHY did you lie about Santa” question. My response to this question has been planned for about ten years… all this time… and was a part of the reason I chose to participate in the Santa lie. Nora and I have not yet reached this point of the conversation, though I anticipate this will happen shortly after Christmas this year. And if she asks me “why,” my response will be this: 

“I chose to lie about Santa, Nora, because sometimes in this world you might feel misunderstood, lonely, and sad. You might feel like you’re not good enough, or like you don’t fit in. Life rolls in waves…always moving, but sometimes you might believe you are stuck. And because you might believe this, I also want you to believe that in life there is magic. Life…in this busy time of its history…can be overwhelming. But amongst these lies I’ve told you, amongst the bright lights of department stores and computer screens, amongst the fast moving conveyer belts blasting our grocery and gift items full speed…stealing us away with them. Amongst all of this sometimes heartbreaking mess of things is us…you and me, standing still if we focus. And there is this, too…we all come and go. Each year there will be someone not with us. One year, I imagine you will be here and I won’t. But know, too, that you never know when you might one day be looking back on the time when you only dreamt about today. And I want you to know that I am somehow now with the family I always knew I wanted to be with …before you and Hazel existed outside of my mind. I am here with you now. In this single moment throughout the history of time, throughout the times of our ancestors and relatives and friends who are no longer here…somehow here we our. Here we all our. In this moment that’s magic.

I wanted you to know Nora that magic exists…we just need to remember to stop so we can see it. It comes from the people we know and love. Love is out there for as long as people are out there. And that is what’s really, real Nora. Love is real. Always.  And magical”.

In truth, 10 years ago I just knew that I would tell Nora (and Hazel now, too…when she is ready)…that I wanted them both to believe in magic, and that is why I decided to participate in the Santa Lie. I hadn’t quite formed the elaboration I just came up with.

There is a cynical part of me that says to myself, “Karen…you’re just trying to find meaning and purpose for all of your capitalistically imposed stress and suffering over the holiday season. This ‘love’ stuff is merely about survival”.

Maybe so. Or maybe it is both. We are all victims of this stressful, fast-paced, discombobulating, pressure cooker culture. And we are all still somehow connected in this world where there is indeed magic and love. So in hindsight, when it comes to the Santa Lie, I am glad I chose the way I chose. And I don’t really think there is much I would have done differently. Except for…maybe I would have chosen to tell my kids that Santa is not a man; She’s a woman.








Comments